Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Our multilingual household

Allie is the queen of stalling tactics at bedtime, but tonight she reached a new limit. She had already pulled all the stops and called me back in her room for everything under the sun -- asking for more water; telling me she was scared of monsters, the storm (Me: Allie, it's not storming. Allie: But I'm still scared of storms.), the wall (wait what??); wanting to pray again; telling me she misses Oo-ah and PopPop; informing me that when daddy snores it wakes her up; also informing me that when the cat meows loudly from our bedroom it also wakes her up; asking me what I'm doing -- pretty much everything and then some.

So I finally told her if she called me in there again for something silly, she was going to be in trouble.

A few minutes went by this time before I heard her again: "Mommy. Mommy! MOMMY!"

I poked my head in her room and, very irritated, asked her, "What?"

"Can you turn on music on my LeapPad?"

"No. You already have music on," I said. She has my iPod in her room playing Enya on shuffle, and she's gone to sleep listening to Enya since she was an infant.

"But I don't like this music," Allie complained. "It's . . . it's . . . it's in Spanish!"

Such a little curmudgeon, but she looks so peaceful when she's asleep.

No comments: