Saturday, November 15, 2014

Weekly Bitty-isms

Saturday, November 8th:
On her amazing memory --

We were watching TV together when Allie suddenly spoke up, "Mommy, I miss my friends at Oo-ah and PopPop's house." (my parents) I listed off several of her friends here in South Carolina, thinking maybe she was confused about where she last saw these friends, but she insisted they were friends from Oo-ah and PopPop's house. It finally dawned on me, and I said, "Oh! You mean your cousins Brandi and Jamie?" (my cousin Tina's girls) Allie's face lit up. "Yeah -- them! I miss them and can't wait to see them again. She was really excited when I told her we would see them at Christmas.

This kid has an amazing memory. She's only seen Brandi and Jamie a handful of times that she can remember -- about twice or three times a year when we go home to Maryland -- and she totally remembered them.

*********************************************************************************

Sunday, November 9th:
On life lessons --

Justin: "Go ahead and go potty before you go to bed."
Allie: "But I don't have to go."
Justin: "Well go sit on the toilet and try."
Allie: (very matter-of-fact) "Daddy, when someone says they don't have to go potty, you're supposed to just say 'okay.'"

*********************************************************************************

Monday, November 10th:
On being a smart-mouth -- 

While having a moment of not listening:
Me: "Allie, do you need to go to time out?"
Allie, hands on her hips: "No. Duuuuuh."

So disrespectful, but I had to fight so hard to keep from laughing.

*********************************************************************************

Tuesday, November 11th:
On bedtime stalling --

Allie is the queen of stalling tactics at bedtime, but tonight she reached a new limit. She had already pulled all the stops and called me back in her room for everything under the sun -- asking for more water; telling me she was scared of monsters, the storm (even though it wasn't storming), the wall (huh?); wanting to pray again; telling me she misses Oo-ah and PopPop; informing me that when daddy snores it wakes her up; also informing me that when the cat meows loudly from our bedroom it also wakes her up; asking me what I'm doing -- pretty much everything and then some.

So I finally told her if she called me in there again for something silly, she was going to be in trouble.

A few minutes went by this time before I heard her again: "Mommy. Mommy! MOMMY!"

I poked my head in her room and, very irritated, asked her, "What?"

"Can you turn on music on my LeapPad?"

"No, you already have music on," I said. She has my iPod in her room playing Enya on shuffle, and she's gone to sleep listening to Enya since she was an infant.

"But I don't like this music," Allie complained. "It's . . . it's . . . it's in Spanish!"

*********************************************************************************

Wednesday, November 12th:
On being ladylike -- 

Justin, Allie and I were at the park. Allie was running up and down the hill, and she fell and slid halfway down on her butt. She ran up to us (where we were sitting with the other parents), yanked her pants down, and loudly asked, "Is my butt bleeding?"

*********************************************************************************

Saturday, November 15th:
On requirements to be a grandpa --

I was reading Allie a story about a monkey and his grandpa. When I pointed out the grandpa monkey to her, she said, "That's not a grandpa monkey." "Sure it is," I told her. "No it's not," she responded. "Grandpas don't have very much hair. You know, like PopPop." (PopPop is my dad.)

*********************************************************************************

Saturday, November 15th:
On her previous life --

This morning, out of the blue, Allie started telling me a story -- "Back when I was a dog . . . "  (#waitwhat?) Oh, and by the way, this is the second time she's started a sentence with that.

*********************************************************************************

Saturday, November 15th:
On her new word --

I told Allie that today was laundry day, and asked her if she wanted to help me sort the laundry, put it in the washer and dryer, and then fold and put them away. She typically jumps at the chance to help me do anything, so I fully expected her to say yes.

Allie: "Hmmm. Not today."
Me: (surprised) "Really? How come?"
Allie: (tapping her chin) "Well, I guess just this once, I'll give you the prit-a-wedge (privilege)."

Apparently someone learned a new word recently.

*********************************************************************************

Saturday, November 15th:
On her sickness --

While lying on the couch, "Mommy, my belly hurts. I think I just need some chocolate."

No comments: