Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Pancake Art

It all started when Allie requested Hello Kitty pancakes. I'd made the typical Mickey Mouse pancakes, but Hello Kitty was my first attempt at an actual shape.


And it turned out fairly decent, if I do say so myself.

I also would like to point out that I'm a pancake snob. I don't use Bisquik or any of the other boxed mixes. I make my pancakes from scratch. You can totally taste the difference.

So next I went with a Pixar theme and made Mike Wazowski from 'Monsters Inc.' and Mater from 'Cars.'



Again, not too shabby. I made a Frosty Snowman pancake, but didn't get a picture of it. That was fairly easy -- just three circles on top of each other, a hat and scarf, eyes and buttons made from raisins, and one candy corn as the carrot nose.

The next time I made pancakes, Allie asked me for Minnie Mouse pancakes. And of course I couldn't make Minnie without Mickey.


By this time, I was growing more confident in my pancake-making abilities and was taking requests. Allie asked me for Little Mermaid. I delivered, and even threw Sebastian the crab in there!


Next up, a caterpillar and butterflies.


Allie then asked me to make a TV pancake. Easy, right? All it required was a rectangle for the TV, and maybe some antennas sticking out the top. 

Sadly, for some reason, I couldn't make a TV pancake. This was the best I could do.


Fail. Epic fail.

At that time, Allie was pretty into a show called Pingu the Penguin. So to redeem myself, I made a Pingu pancake, his igloo home, and an ice fishing pond made out of blueberries.


Noot noot. Nailed it! (If you haven't seen Pingu . . . don't ask.)

And I was back in business again. So when my demanding pancake client asked me for a princess dancing with a hippo (#waitwhat), I was game to try it. Don't ask me where that idea came from, but hey, it made her happy.


I needed to use up some fruit that was going ripe pretty fast, so I made Mr. Potato Head.


Not a bad facsimile, if I do say so myself, plus the bananas, grapes oranges and strawberries made it a super healthy breakfast.

Next I ventured into the world of chocolate chip pancakes. I made more butterflies . . .


. . . and Allie apparently thought I was ready for vignette pancakes. Her request? Daddy, Mommy, and her sitting on the couch and watching TV.


Again, that blasted TV. By the way, the TV is the box-like object at the top right of the picture.

Allie informed me that she didn't like chocolate chip pancakes (Really? What kid doesn't like chocolate chip pancakes?), so we went back to the regular fluffy plain pancakes.

Daniel Tiger is currently her absolute favorite show, so I made her the Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood characters.

L to R: Prince Wednesday, Trolley, Daniel Tiger, O the Owl, Katerina Kitty Cat

I think this one was her favorite, and for awhile she didn't want to eat them, but her hunger got the best of her and she devoured them.

Next up -- a fairy with her wand and magical unicorn.


And finally, the other morning, she asked for a fairy, a princess castle, and a helicopter. So I made a prince flying his helicopter, dropping a rope to rescue his princess trapped in the castle, with a giant bald fairy wearing a crown flying behind him.


Don't ask.

So there's my pancake art so far. I'm pretty proud of it. :)

No comments: